Thursday, August 15, 2013

5 Questions with Mike Resnick

Mike Resnick is a multi-award winning science fiction and fantasy writer (here's a list of all of his awards!) A funny thing happened recently which brought Mike to my attention. I came across a book recently called The Soul Eater and read it in one sitting. It was an entertaining read, and the next day on Facebook I realized that Mike, who had written the novel, was on my friend's list. I sent him a message saying how I enjoyed the book, and he was kind enough to send a nice reply. What a cool world we live in, in which we can read a book, and within hours, find that author right at our fingertips! Anyway, much thanks to Mike for answering my  five questions.


1 – What’s your latest book about?

Though 95% of my output has been science fiction, my most recent release is a mystery from Seventh Street Books, The Trojan Colt, about deceit and murder at the huge-money Keeneland Summer Sales of royally-bred yearlings. It features the same detective I used in Dog in the Manger, and I’ve just signed to use him again in Cat on a Colt Tin Roof. My next two, also due before the end of 2013, are The Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs, an original anthology from Baen Books, co-edited with Bob Garcia; and The Doctor and the Dinosaurs, the fourth in the Weird Western series I’ve been doing for Pyr.


2 – Who’s your favorite author and/or what’s your favorite book?

My favorite science fiction author, depending on the weather and the day of the week and what I had for dinner, is either C. L. Moore, Robert Sheckley, or Barry Malzberg. I have no single favorite science fiction book. My favorite authors outside the field of science fiction include, but are not limited to, Damon Runyon, Raymond Chandler. Ross H. Spencer, Craig Rice (real name: Georgianna Ann Craig), Nikos Kazantzakis, and the list goes on and on.

3 – What’s your favorite aspect of writing?

Looking over what I've written during the “day” (my workday is from 10:00 PM to 5:00 or 6:00 AM, when no one knocks on the door or rings the phone) and seeing that it came out pretty much the way I’d hoped it would when I sat down to work. And of course, the least favorite aspect is when I look at it and decide I've wasted part of the day.

4 – Any good anecdotes about being a writer?

Not really. How many anecdotal things can happen to you when you sit at a keyboard maybe 340 days a year for half a century?

5 – What was the most helpful writing advice you've ever received?

Same one I give every newcomer: Writers write; people who are never going make it merely talk about writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment