Wednesday, October 30, 2013

5 Questions with Ellen Hart

I first met Ellen Hart when I was in an anthology with her (Resort to Murder) which she, William Kent Krueger, and Carl Brookins -- working together as the Minnesota Crime Wave -- edited. I had the privilege of going to multiple book signings for that anthology, and quickly learned how kind and generous Minnesota authors are. And Ellen is one of the kindest! She's written dozens of crime novels, and won nearly as many awards for those novels, and it's my pleasure to have her here to answer my five questions!


1 – What’s your latest book about?

It's called Taken By the Wind. Two boys go missing from a farm outside a small town in southern Minnesota. One of the boys ran away before, so the police think the boy convinced his cousin to run away with him this time. But when a ransom note appears in the farmhouse mailbox, the fathers call in Jane Lawless to help figure out what's going on.  


2 – Who’s your favorite author and/or what’s your favorite book?

Favorite author--wow, there are so many. I don't think I have just one. Dennis Lehane. Tim O'Brien. Bill Bryson. Laurie King. Gillian Flynn.   Margaret Atwood. Favorite mystery: The Secret History, by Donna Tartt.

3 – What’s your favorite aspect of writing?

Favorite part of writing. Hmmm. Well, I love it when my writing is on, when the book starts to operate on multiple levels, when I start seeing connections I didn't see in the beginning--for me, I usually think that the book is starting to cook.  

4 – Any good anecdotes about being a writer?

Can't think of one right now.

5 – What was the most helpful writing advice you’ve ever received?

Best writing advice I ever received was to push through the first draft. Don't try to perfect. Don't let anything stop you. Most of my books take shape in the rewriting--which is another part of the writing process that I love.

Visit Ellen's Amazon Page



No comments:

Post a Comment