Monday, July 29, 2013

5 Questions with Daniel Arenson

I always think of myself as living "up North" but Daniel Arenson lives even "up Norther" hailing from that land some call "Canada". If you were to look at the covers of many of his books, you'd get the sneaking suspicion that he's into dragons. And you'd be right. Daniel was kind enough to answer my five questions, and I will do him the favor of not saying anything stereotypically Canadian, eh? (oh, crap!)


1 – What’s your latest book about?
My latest book is A Memory of Fire. It completes the Dragon War trilogy, the story of Requiem, a kingdom where humans can become dragons. You can learn more about the series on my website.


2 – Who’s your favorite author and/or what’s your favorite book?
I don't really have one favorite author and one favorite book. Some favorite authors are Weis & Hickman, George R. R. Martin, and Roger Zelazny, among many others. I have favorite books across multiple genres, from fantasy to the classics.

3 – What’s your favorite aspect of writing?
I enjoy imagining new worlds. I enjoy writing fantasy for the same reason I enjoy reading it -- the fun of exploring new locations, meeting new creatures, and using the ol' imagination.

4 – Any good anecdotes about being a writer?
Currently, as a "full time" writer, the process is remarkably uneventful -- I sit by the window every day, sip coffee, waste some time on Facebook, and write. But before I became a full time writer, the writing routine was crazier. I wrote my early books in various odd locations: on commuter trains, while standing in crowded subways, in shopping malls, and really anywhere where I'd have a few minutes to pull out a notebook and piece of paper.

5 – What was the most helpful writing advice you've ever received?
I read Writing to the Point by Algis Budrys when I was teenager. It's the first book on writing I've read, and it helped me understand the reason stories work. If you're an aspiring author and can find a copy, it's good reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment