Thursday, July 25, 2013

5 Questions with Debbie Lampi

At the Minnesota River Arts Fair recently, I shared a literary tent with a bunch of other authors, and had a chance to interview them briefly. I asked each of them the same five questions. Here's what mystery writer Debbie Lampi had to say!



1 – What’s your latest book about?

My latest book is called An Unfortunate Death (coming soon!) It is the sequel to Shadow Play and the second in the Grace Rendeau mystery series. Either can be read alone although it helps to have the background from the first novel.




2 – Who’s your favorite author and/or what’s your favorite book?

My favorite author is Philip Roth. I also enjoy Tana French, Gillian Flynn, Joyce Carol Oates, Alain de Botton and Louise Erdrich. Each has written a book I have at one time considered my favorite. Other favorites have been: To Kill a Mockingbird, Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier and Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee.

3 – What’s your favorite aspect of writing?

Connecting with people and touching them in a way that is very profound.

4 – Any good anecdotes about being a writer?

I submitted my first completed manuscript to an agent some years ago and she sent me the following message: "Adverbs give me hives." I've never forgotten it - it got me over the beginner's habit of excessive adverb/adjective usage better than anything else could have!

5 – What was the most helpful writing advice you've ever received?

It's actually advice I've read in Stephen King's book called On Writing. Two of his memorable quotes are:

“Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.”
 - and -
“If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot. There's no way around these two things that I'm aware of, no shortcut.”

The other is by ErnestHemingway: 
“All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”


No comments:

Post a Comment