Wednesday, July 24, 2013

5 Questions with Erin Hart

At the Minnesota River Arts Fair recently, I shared a literary tent with a bunch of other authors, and had a chance to interview them briefly. I asked each of them the same five questions. Here's what mystery author Erin Hart had to say!



1 – What’s your latest book about?

The Book of Killowen – about a 9th century person and book uncovered in a bog. It’s also about ancient manuscripts and the scribal arts.


2 – Who’s your favorite author and/or what’s your favorite book?

The literary mystery Possession by A.S. Byatt

3 – What’s your favorite aspect of writing?

My favorite aspect of writing is the research. I also consider myself more of a re-writer than a writer.

4 – Any good anecdotes about being a writer?

My first novel (Haunted Ground) was based on a true story told to me by a friend’s archaeologist brother-in-law who was personally involved in the recovery of a red-haired girl found in a bog. I hadn't considered myself a writer before this, but I felt compelled to give this mysterious girl a story, even if I had to make one up. That conversation led to my writing career!

5 – What was the most helpful writing advice you've ever received?

An editor once told me to write at least three pages a day. That way it’s easier not to get so overwhelmed by the scope of an entire novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment