Tuesday, August 27, 2013

5 Questions with Mainak Dhar

Mainak Dhar is the author of the bestselling Alice in Deadland series, being made into a television series as we speak! Born in India, and now residing in Singapore, he's sold tons of books - over 100,000 his first year on Amazon. In March of this year, he even unseated Stephen King for a bit as the #1 selling horror author. I'm excited that Mainak agreed to hang out on my blog and answer my five questions!


1 – What's your latest book about?

My latest book is Phantoms of the North, the sixth in the Alice in Deadland series, which continues the adventures of Alice in the post-apocalyptic world that the series is set in. Have just started work on the seventh book in the series, and am having fun continuing it, and enjoying seeing readers experience how the characters and story evolves.


2 – Who's your favorite author and/or what's your favorite book?

Favorite author would be a tie between Tolkien and Roald Dahl. Favorite book definitely The Lord of the Rings.

3 – What's your favorite aspect of writing?

Connecting with readers whom I would never have otherwise connected with and may well never meet in real life. That's the real magic of books. Every time I hear from a reader is a real high and over the years, many of them have become more friends than readers, and a real part of my writing process, people I bounce ideas off and take inspiration from.

4 – Any good anecdotes about being a writer?

My first 'published' work was in Grade 7. I read an interview by Stephen King where he said that the moment anyone paid you a cent for your writing, you were a professional writer. I took some poems I had, stapled them together with solutions to the Maths textbook and sold them to my classmates at fifty cents a copy. I earned $12.50 – my first ever 'royalties', and came home and announced to my Mom that I had become a professional writer.

5 – What was the most helpful writing advice you've ever received?

From my Mom – “Writing is what gives you joy, so never stop writing, no matter what happens.”


No comments:

Post a Comment