Tuesday, August 13, 2013

5 Questions with Hugh Howey

Meet Hugh Howey. Although since he's been a bestseller on the New York Times and USA Today - and since his work will soon be translated into at least seventeen languages - you've probably already met the guy. At least on the web or in your favorite newspaper. Let's face it - the guy is a publishing phenom. I'm honored that he was able to take a moment to answer my five questions.


1 – What’s your latest book about?

My latest book is Dust. It comes out August 17th, and it wraps up the series that began with Wool. It's about a group of people who live underground and are fighting not only to survive, but to uncover the conspiracy that landed them there.


2 – Who’s your favorite author and/or what’s your favorite book?

My new favorite author is MaxBarry, the author of Lexicon. This might just be my new favorite book of all-time.

3 – What’s your favorite aspect of writing?

Listening to characters speak with one another. It's surreal when it starts flowing, but the best part of writing is watching events unfold and trying your best to keep up.

4 – Any good anecdotes about being a writer?

It's the best occupation in the world, if you ask me. Even when you become well-known, nobody recognizes you. I've been in a few situations where people knew my work and were discussing it, and I could just listen in.


5 – What was the most helpful writing advice you've ever received?

Just write! Caroline Todd told this to an audience once, and I was lucky enough to be in that audience. She told us to stop dreaming of writing, talking about writing, planning to write, and just write. Sit down every day and get some work done. Eventually, it'll become a book. And she was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment