Monday, August 12, 2013

5 Questions with Sephera Giron

Meet Sephera Giron - although if you've spent any time in the horror community, you've probably already heard of her. I first encountered Sephera's writing in her wonderful novel Eternal Sunset about a decade ago. And not only is Sephera a writer, she's also an actor and a certified Tarot counselor. Much thanks to Sephera for taking the time to answer my five questions!


1 – What’s your latest book about?

I’ve recently submitted a book called Sex, Lies, and Monsters about a mad scientist who is trying to create the perfect lovers. My latest published book is called Weird Tales of Terror and is a collection of short stories and one novel spanning the past couple of decades of my writing career. It has received some great reviews at Hellnotes and Horror World.


 2 – Who’s your favorite author and/or what’s your favorite book?

Stephen King and Clive Barker are still my faves and my inspirations. Although I’ve not read it in over thirty years, The Shining still terrifies me. The first time I read it, I was a teenager around fifteen the year it came out. I sat in my room and wouldn’t leave until I finished the book, I was so terrified. I had to see how it ended or I couldn’t sleep or leave my room.

 3 – What’s your favorite aspect of writing?

I like creating stories, people, and places. I guess I like being “god” over my own little worlds. Of course, the very best part is walking into a bookstore and seeing one of my books on the shelf. That’s VERY cool and something I don’t get to experience with e-books.

 4 – Any good anecdotes about being a writer?

Being a writer is rather boring. I sit here clicking keys while my ass gets numb. However, I’ve had some great adventures under the guise of being a writer. Perhaps my most interesting gig was posing the naked models for the Kama Sutra Seductions Deck. I was flown to Burbank to attend the weeklong photography session. Since the Kama Sutra is very specific, I had to make sure the models were “doing it right.” I’d like more gigs like that, please!

5 – What was the most helpful writing advice you’ve ever received?

Writers write. And as others have said, “Ass in chair, fingers on keyboard.”

Talking about writing isn’t writing.

Clive Barker once wrote to me, “Don’t listen to agents.” (with regard to how to write your book.)
Rick Hautala encouraged me to attend Necon, one of the most amazing writer’s conferences held every year in Rhode Island. It was there, in 1989, under Rick’s wing, that I met all the key players in the biz and realized that being a horror writer was not a pipe dream but something that I could actually do. And did. RIP Rick.


No comments:

Post a Comment