Monday, August 12, 2013

Putting Yourself Out There in Your Writing

One of the things I battle internally is the fear of putting too much of myself out there in my writing. I'm afraid of being judged by friends, family, coworkers, and the public at large. But I believe that the more honest and authentic you are, the better your writing is. It's what can make your writing uniquely yours.



It can be hard, especially now that there is this whole crazy thing the younguns call the internet, where opinions fly fast and furious without a second thought. There are so many opportunities to be judged, good and bad. It's a double-edged sword. We can all voice our opinions, but sometimes we forget our sense of decorum.

Anyway, here's what I believe about putting yourself out there:

We are strong when we write about our weaknesses.
We are virtuous when we write about our mistakes.
We are triumphant when we write about our failures.

When you write, put yourself out there. There may be critics, there may be people ready to dole out harsh judgments. But in my opinion, it's what gives you your voice and makes you stand out -- in a good way -- from the crowd.


* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment