Friday, August 23, 2013

5 Questions with Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch is another wonderful Minnesota author. While I don't read a lot of fantasy, I did read his novel The Lies of Locke Lamora, and was instantly captivated. It turned out to not only be a great action adventure/fantasy novel, it also turned out to be a great novel, period! It's one of my favorites. If you haven't read it, you must. I'm happy to have Scott on board to answer my five questions!


1 – What’s your latest book about?

My latest book is The Republic of Thieves. It's the third book in the Gentleman Bastard sequence, which starts with The Lies of Locke Lamora. It's a fantasy crime novel, following the ongoing adventures of a master con artist living a complicated life in a cruel, colorful fantasy world.


2 – Who's your favorite author and/or what's your favorite book?
Too many to count! At the top of my pile, I'd always put assorted works by Margaret Atwood, Frank Herbert, Matthew Woodring Stover, Emma Bull, Jack Vance, and Fritz Leiber. 
3 – What’s your favorite aspect of writing?
That unbeatable feeling when the right words are flowing, and it's a race to get them all down rather than a slow struggle to find them at all. 
4 – Any good anecdotes about being a writer?
I've had a couple opportunities to meet writers whose work has been on my shelves since I was a teenager, only to have them reveal that they've read my stuff or even pull out a book for me to sign. That never gets old. Most of the writers I've met are thoroughly lovely people, and that's a relief, too. 

5 – What was the most helpful writing advice you’ve ever received?
Take care of yourself physically! Exercise, pay attention to ergonomics, get enough sleep, take breaks. Sooner or later those physical issues you neglect will steal writing hours from you no matter how ready and willing your mind is. I say this from vivid personal experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment