Friday, April 4, 2014

D is for Drum & Bugle Corp

Today is brought to you by the letter D!

Last summer I went down to Rochester to visit my parents and one of my brothers. While I was down there, we all headed over to see a drum and bugle corp competition. It was a beautiful June night, and the bands sounded great. I played snare in marching band when I was in high school and have lots of good memories from it (we even got to go on a trip to Hawaii!) but the bands in this competition were college level.

I just love the sound of drums and the brass, especially when it's outside.

Here's the first band coming onto the field:


The crowd waits:


There were about five or six bands competing. Aside from the great sound the bands put out, there were also lots of flags and dancers:


Lots of cool formations:


I like how I caught these flags mid-twirl:


Drums! 


I can't begin to tell you how much time these folks put into their performances. It takes lots of discipline, countless hours of practice, lots of travel in crowded buses, loading and unloading and setting up and taking down equipment, and lots of playing in overly warm uniforms in hot weather. Hopefully these years will be the genesis for lots of great memories and friendships for these young performers. 

Anyway, thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Love the images and the memories are priceless #a2zchallenge great entry

    ReplyDelete