Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A is for Air Raid Warden Helmet

This is my first blog entry of the 2014 A to Z Challenge, where bloggers write 26 entries in the month of April, each entry corresponding to a letter of the alphabet. So here goes!

A while back I wrote a blog post about my grandfather: Grandpa Walt - Air Raid Warden

Just a few weeks ago, however, I was in an antique store and found an actual air raid warden helmet. Since I was in the middle of writing a short story featuring an air raid warden, I thought it was kismet. So I bought it. It's a bit beat up, but still cool. One thing, it's hard as heck. I'd hate to get knocked on the noggin by one - but at the same time, I'm sure it could save the wearer's skull from flying debris.


Here's the guts of the hat:


On the inside of the rim it says US GOVT PROPERTY O.C.D. 
O.C.D. stands for the Office of Civil Defense (and not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder!)


And last but not least, here's Tony Pastor & his Orchestra playing Obey Your Air Raid Warden circa 1942. 


Thanks for checking out my blog!


2 comments:

  1. A great post! I am doing the AtoZ Challenge as well and am looking at many A postings today. Best wishes for this month of writing!

    Regards

    Jim

    ReplyDelete