Wednesday, April 23, 2014

S is for Staying the Hell Outta Georgia

A to Z Blogger Challenge - Letter 'S'

I wasn’t sure what exactly I’d write about for the letter S until today, when I saw that Georgia has passed a bill – The Safe CarryProtection Act – that allows guns to be carried pretty much everywhere – in bars, schools, churches, government buildings, etc. I guess my ‘S’ could stand for Safe Carry Protection Act, or Second Amendment, but I’m opting for Staying the Hell Outta Georgia.

Look, I’d love to visit Georgia someday. It sounds like a beautiful state. Savannah, Atlanta, Athens, the Blue Ridge Mountains... Coca Cola...peaches? And I’m sure the people there are wonderful, friendly people. But as long as they have such a dumb-ass law that could potentially put my family in danger, I ain’t setting foot in that state. (Georgia is obviously already okay with shooting itself in the foot.)

Say I see someone coming at me carrying a gun. How do I know they’re carrying it legally? How do I know whether or not to fear them? What if I trust that they’re legally carrying ‘cause they look nice, but they’re not. Or what if I assume they’re illegally carrying and I panic and bad stuff happens?

Say a legally carrying person is walking around and sees another legally carrying person, but one thinks the other looks suspicious...or a police officer thinks one of them looks suspicious. Guns are drawn, guns are fired...etc.

Alcohol and guns do not mix. Drunk college students and guns do not mix.

I know, I know – a lot of hypotheticals...

Say I’m in church (ok, stop laughing) and someone sits in my pew and I see the butt of a gun sticking out of their pants. I’ll be constantly wondering if they’re not somebody who’s going to go all bath-shit crazy all of a sudden. Maybe it’s some KKK dude just waiting for the right moment to open fire. Maybe it’s some unstable person who believes God has called them to heaven and wants to bring along as many brethren as possible.

I would hope people wouldn’t be so dumb as to go trick-or-treating in Georgia, or Christmas caroling, or selling Girl Scout cookies, ‘cause look out – some idiot with a gun might think you’re up to no good and take a shot at you.

Better not accidentally cut someone off in traffic in Georgia, either, because road rage can be bad enough, but throw a gun into the mix...

And kids in Georgia – I’m sure your parents are all very responsible gun owners. So no worries there...


I realize the good folks of Georgia (and I mean that sincerely – like I said, I know there are a lot of great people living there) don’t give a flying monkey’s butt as to whether or not I bring my family and our money to their state. All I’m saying is you can take your Second Amendment to whatever extreme you want, but at the same time, I’m going to keep my unalienable rights to ‘Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness’...and I’m worried that my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness would be placed in much greater jeopardy once I cross your state line.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with every thing you wrote! I never heard of The Safe Carry Protection Act before so I'll be doing some research. Guns can go off accidentally. There are a lot of scenarios that are running through my mind about that. Great blog post!

    ReplyDelete